Friday, March 13, 2015

Journal Post #9

Asking the Wrong Questions

As kid I was often asked, “So, what do you want to be when you grow –up?”  Honestly, I had no idea.  I did know that a career was a commitment and I didn't want to be committed something I didn't like.  My response to that question was always, “A doctor.”  Looking back my understanding of what was required to be a doctor, the day-to-day responsibilities and the different fields of medicine were very limited.  I did know that a doctor was a respected profession and I knew that I could avoid any follow-up questions like, “Why would want to do that?”  I also knew that as doctor I would be able to take care of the needs of my family.

Later on in life, after working 2 years in an E.R. as an Orderly and being overwhelmed by the amount of schooling required, I realized that this was not a realistic career path for me.  I did not have a passion for medicine and I definitely did not have a passion for school.  But for some reason I still associated success with being a doctor. 

In reflecting on this I have come to the conclusion that I was being asked the wrong question.  It’s not what you want to be, but who do you want to me.  There was nothing wrong with my logic in wanting a respectable career and the means to take care of my family.  Where I went wrong was in thinking that this was the only way to achieve my aspirations.

In talking with my own children I have caught myself asking them the same question I was asked.  I have made a resolve to ask them WHO they want to be rather than what they want to be.  Focusing on “the who” requires a lot more work, but it removes the any boundaries in allowing you to reach your full potential.  

$100.00 Challenge Project Update:

This week I was able to install two of the shelves I built and was able to get paid.  I have two more installs scheduled next week.  Excited to see how many I actually end up selling.

No comments:

Post a Comment