Saturday, March 7, 2015

Journal Post #8

Family Management and Business Management

With some of the discussion board posts we have had this week, I have thought a lot about the correlation between family management and business management.  I think that there are a lot of similarities.  The other day my wife made mention to me that she thought it was interesting how on Saturday morning I brought all of the kids into the living room and mapped out the schedule of things we would be doing.  Our four children are fairly young, ages 10, 8, 5, and 2.  Looking back on that situation it felt pretty natural to me.  Like most families, our Saturdays can be pretty eventful—chores to accomplish, basketball games to attend, errands to run, etc.  I wanted to make sure we were all on the same page and that everyone knew what was expected.

I do the same type of thing at work.  When things get pretty hectic around quarter end I usually call a quick meeting with the team.  Go through our to-do list, review our goals, update everyone on where we are at, and essentially make sure we are all on the same page.  And if there are any issues, let’s discuss how we can resolve them.  Both approaches are very similar in nature.  I also think that both approaches also show each member the team and your family that you care.

There was a part in the “E-Myth Revisited” that I really liked.  It stated, “If your thinking is sloppy, your business will be sloppy. If you are disorganized, your business will be disorganized. If you are greedy, your employees will be greedy.”  Our business management skills are essentially a reflection of who we are as a person.  I think thing can also be said for our family management skills, as well.


$100.00 Challenge Project Update:

I was able to paint and stain the shelves and frames today.  This week I have scheduled a few installs.  I should actually start to see some money coming in…

No comments:

Post a Comment